The theme for the 2018 poster competition is exploration and discovery
Get creative and enter the British Science Association’s annual poster competition, on the theme of exploration and discovery.
Your students can make their poster about anything involving exploration and discovery. The five best posters from your school can be entered into our UK-wide competition with the chance for students to win an array of prizes.
Closing date for 2018 entries: Friday 6th April 6pm.
What are the rules?
All entrants must be within the age categories below:
Category England & Wales Northern Ireland Scotland
Early years Nursery/Reception Nursery/P1 Nursery/P1
Infant Year 1 – Year 3 P2 – P4 P2 – P4
Junior Year 4 – Year 6 P5 – P7 P5 – P7
Senior Year 7 – Year 9 Year 8 – Year 10 S1 – S3
We welcome entries from youth groups and other organisations in addition to schools.
- Entrants can be teams or individuals
- teams will be judged in the age category of its oldest member
- any prize awarded will be split across the team.
- Each school/youth group can enter a maximum of five entries. We encourage you to run the competition with larger groups, but to select the top five to enter from your school. If you send more than five entries we will only be able to include the first five in the competition. You can award further prizes within your school level competition if you wish.
- Entries must be 2D and submitted on one side of A4 or A3 paper only.
- Work must be original and created by the student(s) – please do not use any templates.
- Posters must include the following information (entrant details can be on the back of the poster):
- entrant name (all names if a team) and entrant age (all ages if a team)
- age category (of the oldest team member)
- school/youth group name and address
How to enter?
Once your students have completed their posters, please select the top five and send these in the post to us at: Discovery and Exploration Poster Competition, British Science Association, Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen’s Gate, London, SW7 5HD
You also need to complete this short online form for your entries to be eligible for judging!
Closing date for 2018 entries: Friday 6th April at 6pm.
We cannot accept entries received after the closing date so please ensure they are posted in good time direct to us at the address above..
How will entries be judged?
Entries will be shortlisted by members of the British Science Association and the winner in each category decided by a panel of judges.
Prizes will be awarded to the best entry and to runners up in each category.
Why take part?
Last year approximately 13000 students, from around 240 schools, organisations or individuals took part. The short-listed posters were uploaded to our Facebook page and a public vote decided on the winning entries.
The BSA are Artsmark supporters and we believe children should have a well-connected and well-rounded school experience, learning science in context. Schools can include work towards the competition and other work in British Science Week in Artsmark applications and plans.