Get set for Demo Day 2017
Demo Day is an annual campaign during British Science Week that aims to inspire school teachers and technicians to explore new concepts, provoke discussions and generate excitement through running science demonstrations. It has run successfully for the last three years in hundreds of schools across the UK.
For British Science Week 2017, Demo Day will be on Thursday 16 March.
We want to encourage even more people to get involved – both those who run in-class demos often and those who are less familiar with demonstrations.
Pledge to run a demo
We are asking teachers and technicians who are planning to run a demonstration on Demo Day, to pledge their involvement. Your pledge will be added to our interactive map which will display all participants from schools across the UK.
Demo Day resources and advice
There are plenty of resources available to give you ideas, inspiration and confidence to run demos with students:
- Check out our list of super yet simple demos from a variety of partner organisations to find some idea for Demo Day
- Find tips, stories and thoughts from professional science communicators, ranging from presenters, writers and lecturers to magicians and filmmakers at Demo insights
- Watch Demo: The Movie, a 30-minute film which follows science teacher Alom Shaha as he goes on a journey to explore the use of demonstrations in science teaching
- For students with special educational needs and disabilities, Dr Sarah Bearchell gives her top tips
- Our assembly demo tips can also help you take your demo to the next level
By participating in British Science Week activities, you and your students can achieve free British Science Week digital badges, in partnership with Makewaves.
Register for free to quickly evidence and reward everyone’s hard work.
Who is involved?
All schools that have pledged to participate in Demo Day 2017 will appear on our map.
The British Science Association would like to thank both the Gatsby Charitable Foundation and The Worshipful Company of Horners for supporting Demo Day. We’d also like to thank all our partner organisations for their support in sharing information and resources.