Applications for British Science Week 2018 are now closed.
There are three grant schemes available to support British Science Week (9-18 March 2018) activities: one for schools, one for community groups, and one for BSA branches.
School students still have time to apply for our Kick Start Youth grant, which has a later deadline, of 5pm on Friday 19th January 2018. Please see the Kick Start Youth grant page for details.
This scheme offers grants for schools in challenging circumstances to organise their own events as part of British Science Week. There are three options available:
- Kick Start grant: A grant of up to £300 for your school to run an activity
- Kick Start More grant: A grant of up to £700 for your school to host a science event or activity which involves your students and the local community
- NEW for 2018: Kick Start Youth grant: £150 for your school to run an activity during British Science Week organised by students. This grant has a separate application process and later closing date. Please see the Kick Start Youth grant page for details.
This scheme offers £500 to £1000 grants for community groups that work directly with audiences who are traditionally under-represented and currently not engaged in science activity. Our definition of groups that are underrepresented in science includes:
- people who are Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME)
- people with low socio economic status (SES), including people disadvantaged in terms of education and income
- young people facing adversity, including those not in education, employment or training (NEET)
- people with a disability, defined as a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term effect on someone’s ability to do normal daily activities (Equalities Act 2010)
- people living in a remote and rural location, defined as settlements of less than 10,000 people
- girls and women
This scheme offers £300 to £1000 of funding for BSA branches to take part in our national celebration by running local events during British Science Week. This scheme is open to BSA volunteer branches only.