Applications for British Science Week 2018 are now closed.
The British Science Association, with funding from the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, is providing grants for schools in challenging circumstances to organise their own science and engineering events.
There are three types of grant:
- Kick Start grant: a grant of up to £300 for your school to run an activity during British Science Week
- Kick Start More grant: a grant of up to £700 for your school to host a science event or activity which involves your students and the local community. The community can comprise of families/carers, members of local community groups, local businesses and local press
- NEW for 2018: Kick Start Youth grant £150 for your school to run an activity during British Science Week organised by students. This grant has a separate application process and later closing date. Please see the Kick Start Youth Grant page for details.
The type of activity you run is up to you and depends on your own priorities and the resources at your disposal.
To be eligible to apply:
You must be a school in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. We cannot accept applications from non-school organisations.
You must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have a high proportion (over 30%) of pupils eligible for the pupil premium or equivalent;
- Have a high proportion (over 30%) of pupils from ethnic minority backgrounds; and/or
- Be a small school based in a remote and rural location.*
*In a postcode listed as rural under their government’s Rural Urban classification system: Scotland, England and Wales, Northern Ireland. You can look up the Area Type for any UK postcode here.