Win a DSLR camera or practical kit worth up to £500!
We need your help to bring technicians into the spotlight. We’re inviting young people, aged 5 -19 years, to use their imaginations and creativity in this hands-on photo competition.
Entries close on Wednesday 26th April 2017 at 6pm.
Winners will have a choice of prizes from:
10 x Electric Dough-Luxe kit from Tech Will Save Us (suitable for younger children)
Download our free teaching resources to help you run this competition with your group!
About the competition
Participants are invited to share an image of a representation of a technician on Twitter or via email to be in with a chance of winning cameras, practical kits or a £500 voucher and an invitation to attend the British Science Association’s ‘Great British Science Club’ celebration event in July 2017.
How to enter
Part 1: Choose the ‘technician’
Encourage your group to look around and find something that technicians will have helped to make. There are different types of technicians and not all of them wear traditional white lab coats. They model car engines, they design the lighting for concerts, they build film production sets, and of course many do research. But what is it really like to be a technician and what do they do day-to-day?
Students are encouraged to think about technicians in a non-traditional setting and be imaginative in how they capture the work of the technician, utilising costumes and other props. They could act out the scene by dressing up a teddy bear, teacher or a parent as their technician of choice, or create a technician using modelling materials.
You can find some technician case studies here.
Part 2: Plan your Photo
The scene around the ‘technician’ needs to convey the type of job they do. Students can use every day materials that you would find in the kitchen, equipment in the classroom, and any backdrops that they make themselves.
Remember, the photo should capture your ‘technician’ in their work-setting, clearly conveying their job. Invite your group to be creative – the scene can be as elaborate as they want including different aspects of the technician’s career
Part 3: Snap and Share!
Next snap it – use a camera or a phone to take a picture of your scene with the words ‘Technicians Make it Happen’ somewhere in the pic – it can be a sticker, post-it note, chalkboard – whatever you fancy.
Finally, post it on Twitter using #TMiHPhotoComp – include your school or youth group name in the tweet – and tell us what job your ‘technician’ does. Make sure to follow us at @BritSciAssoc so we can see your snaps. Alternatively, if you do not have access to Twitter, you can email your photo entry to us at BSW@britishscienceassociation.org
Entries close on Wednesday 26th April 2017 at 6pm. Winners will be contacted via Twitter or email.
How will entries be judged?
Entries in each category will be selected by the team at the British Science Association, and the TMiH team, who will help create a shortlist of finalists, which will then be judged by a panel.
Prizes will be awarded for:
- most interesting technician job featured,
- creativity of the scene depicted,
- best descriptive tweet, and
- a people’s choice for most shares on Twitter
We welcome entries from youth groups and other organisations in addition to schools.
Winners will receive a choice of camera, practical kits or a £500 voucher. The shortlisted students and their teachers will also be invited to attend the BSA’s ‘Great British Science Club’ celebration event in July 2017, where we will announce the winners and hand out prizes. The winning photos will also be printed and displayed. Travel and accommodation will be paid for.
Terms and conditions
- Participating students must be aged between 5 and 19 years on 26th April 2017
- Entrants must be UK residents
- Entrants can be teams or individuals. Only one entry per young person will be eligible for the competition, whether as an individual or as part of a group.
- Work must be original and created by the student/student group
- Entries must be submitted via Twitter using the hashtag #TMiHComp. Alternatively, if you do not have access to Twitter, you can email your photo entry to us at BSW@britishscienceassociation.org. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- The winners will be notified via a direct message on their social media account. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 28 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner agrees to the British Science Association using his/her entry photograph in any campaign publicity material, including the website and social media channels.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.