Applications for British Science Week 2019 are closed.
Applications closed at 5pm on the 12th November 2018. We cannot consider applications sent after this deadline.
The Kick Start Youth grant supports groups of young people aged 10-18 from schools in challenging circumstances to organise and deliver an event during British Science Week.
As a teacher or member of school staff you can apply for the grant on behalf of your school. You will need to let us know how you plan to recruit the young people who will organise the event and how you will support them in planning their event.
We will let you know if your school has been successful in early December 2018 and provide £150 towards the event costs. You will then need to recruit a group of between 3 and 10 students to plan and deliver the event. The students will need to complete and return to us an event proposal telling us about their plans by mid February 2019 and return completed evaluation forms from attendees after their event.
Student organisers who complete all the necessary requirements for their event will be eligible for a free CREST Bronze Award.
Eligibility for grant
The fund is open to state schools in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. We cannot award grants to non school organisations or private schools. To be eligible for Kick Start Youth grant funding, schools must meet one or more of the following criteria:
1. Over 30% of pupils eligible for pupil premium (or equivalent)
2. Over 30% of pupils from Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME backgrounds)
3. Located in a rural location*
• Students should be aged between 10-18, in age bands of upper KS2, KS3, KS4 or KS5
• There must be at least 3 young people in the event organising group.
• The event or activity must take place between the 9 – 18 March 2019
• The event or activity must have a STEM theme
• The event must involve other young people in the students’ school, young people in other schools or young people in the wider community
• Schools can apply for a Kick Start Youth grant in addition to a Kick Start (£300) grant or Kick Start More (£700) grant, but if successful in both, the money cannot be used towards the same event.
Download the student event proposal form. (coming soon)
Download the attendee evaluation form. (coming soon)
Where will the grant money be paid?
If the grant application is successful, the £150 will be paid into the school bank account in mid December 2018. The contact teacher will then be responsible for recruiting a group of students, supporting them to plan their event, complete a budget plan and reimburse any costs incurred. Teachers are advised to check the group’s budget plan before any purchases are made.
How to apply
Download the British Science Week 2019 Kick Start Guidelines
Applications for Kick Start Youth grants have now closed.
For more information, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org