Applications for British Science Week 2018 are now closed.
The Kick Start Youth grant is funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy to support groups of young people from schools in challenging circumstances to organise a science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) themed activity during British Science Week (BSW). Successful groups of students will be awarded £150 per grant application.
Download a Kick Start Youth grant guide with everything students need to organise an event.
Eligibility for grant
The fund is open to school children in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. To be eligible for Kick Start Youth grant funding, students must be from a school that fulfils one or more of the following criteria:
1. Over 30% of pupils eligible for pupil premium (i.e. additional funding to raise the attainment of disadvantaged pupils), or equivalent
2. Over 30% of pupils from Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME backgrounds)
3. Located in a rural location*
*In a postcode listed as rural under their government’s Rural Urban classification system: Scotland, England and Wales, Northern Ireland. You can look up the ‘Area Type’ for any UK postcode here.
• Students should be aged between 11-18, in age bands of KS3, KS4 or KS5
• There must be at least 3 young people in the event organising team
• The event or activity must take place during BSW, between the 9 – 18 March 2018
• The event or activity must have a STEM theme
• The event must involve other young people in the students’ school, young people in other schools or young people in the wider community
• Pupils from a school that has been awarded a BSW Kick Start or Kick Start More grant are able to apply for a Kick Start Youth grant, but if successful, the money cannot be used towards the same event
Where will the grant money be paid?
If the grant application is successful, the £150 will be paid into the bank account for the school within two weeks of the BSA receiving correct account details from the school. The teacher supporting the application will be responsible for using the money to reimburse the students with any costs incurred. Teachers are advised to check the team’s budget plan before any purchases are made.